Special Education Professionals (SEP) is a group of qualified Kenyan and international therapists and special needs teachers who volunteer their time and expertise to improve the quality of life of children with special needs in Kenya. SEP is therefore unique; working with professionals from all over the world, learning from other views and approaches, while striving for the same goal.
SEP is also a support network amongst colleagues where professionalism, constructive criticism and loyalty are key structures. Doctors, teachers, assessment teachers, therapists, and fellow parents refer families to SEP to seek professional multi-disciplinary advice. It is often devastating to be confronted with the shear magnitude of needs and the limitation of the services available in Kenya. In the meantime SEP has built up 10 years of experience in Kenya, mainly in Nairobi, working with less privileged families.
SEP is a registered society whose members volunteer their time and services. SEP was registered as a society on 19th January 2001 under registration number 19624. SEP is a multi-disciplinary team of special education professionals working within the framework of education, rehabilitation and healthcare in Kenya.
WHAT IS SPECIAL EDUCATION AND REHABILITATION
* Special education is a branch of education that supports persons who need support to cope with the mainstream curriculum as laid down in most schools, or who need a modified curriculum.
* Teaching methods must be adapted to suit the needs of these persons.
* It is therefore necessary to plan individually for each person in accordance with the diversity of their needs.
* Therapists are involved in rehabilitation to stimulate the overall development (motor, cognitive, language, social, visual and auditory) and to enhance the potential of the person.
CATEGORIES UNDER SPECIAL EDUCATION
* Behavioural Disorders
* Communication Disorders
* Hearing Impairments
* Learning Difficulties
* Mentally Challenged
* Multiple Handicaps
* Visual Impairments
* Physically Challenged
* Gifted and Talented Persons
* Other handicaps such as social and emotional disturbance
An individual may fall in one or more of these categories.
Our mission is to develop multi disciplinary approach among the professionals working with children with special needs by upgrading the professionals skills and knowledge. By doing that SEP will be able to provide quality interventions to more children with special needs and empower their families by including them in the intervention programmes, throughout the country.